Number of Credits
Mina Harkins, MBA, MT(ASCP)
CEexpress 5 contains two articles about the impact of pre-analytic errors and how they can be prevented.
This CEexpress explores the incidence of laboratory errors and some of the reasons that errors occur frequently in the pre-analytic phase. The course focuses on the importance of proper test orders, specimen collection, and labeling to reduce and prevent pre-analytic errors in the laboratory. The requirements for the pre-analytic phase are discussed along with ways to meet the requirements.
At the end of this course you should be able to:
- Recognize reasons that pre-analytical errors occur
- Describe requirements for test orders, proper patient identification, specimen collection, and labeling
- Identify ways to reduce and prevent pre-analytical errors
This course has been approved for P.A.C.E.® credit. There are no prerequisites for this course.
- Article 1: Only You Can Prevent Pre-Analytic Medical Errors! The Roadmap to Error-free Specimen Processing
- Article 2: Checkpoints for Error-free Specimen Submission and Handling
Free, current version of Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. (Some older browsers could produce error messages or not display the content correctly.)
Free, current version of Adobe Flash Player and Adobe Reader.