Number of Credits
Who Can Benefit from this Course of Study?
This Course of Study is a combination of existing CRI® products packaged to meet the specific needs of laboratorians in states that have requirements for continuing education as part of personnel license renewal.
You will learn:
- The importance of safety in the medical laboratory
- Proper procedures and good laboratory practices for performing waived tests
- The registration process, requirements, and ways to document compliance for a typical laboratory with regards to the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments of 1988 (CLIA’88)
- The process of calibration verification as detailed in the updated CLIA requirements of 2003
- The process of Quality Assessment as well as the basics of quality systems and QMS
This Course of Study includes courses that have been approved for P.A.C.E.® credit.
The following States have laboratory continuing education requirements. Contact your State for the most up-to-date information about the requirements.
California: This course of study will meet California’s license requirements for 12 hours of continuing education each year. The Continuing Education Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science in California has approved COLA Resources, Inc. as a continuing education provider.
Florida: This course of study will help you meet Florida’s license requirements for 24 hours of continuing education every 2 years. In order to renew a clinical laboratory personnel license, these 24 hours must include a minimum of one contact hour for each of the categories in which the individual is licensed. Directors and supervisors are required to obtain one contact hour of continuing education in administration and supervision. Please note, the 24 hours of continuing education must also include the following, which are not currently offered in this Course of Study:
- One contact hour of continuing education on HIV/AIDS
- A Board approved 2-hour course relating to the prevention of medical errors, which shall include root-cause analysis, error reduction and prevention, and patient safety
- A one hour course on Florida laws and rules governing clinical laboratory personnel (Or attend a public meeting of the full Board at which disciplinary actions are addressed. A telephone conference call meeting of the Board will not satisfy this requirement.)
COLA Resources, Inc. is approved by the Florida Board of Clinical Laboratory Personnel, Division of Medical Quality Assurance, at the Florida Agency for Health Care Administration as an educational provider for Florida medical laboratory professionals.
Louisiana: This course of study will meet Louisiana’s license requirements for 12 hours of continuing education each year.
Montana: This course of study will help you meet Montana’s license requirements for 14 hours of continuing education each year.
Nevada: This course of study will help you meet Nevada’s license requirements for 20 hours of continuing education every two years.
North Dakota: This course of study will help you meet North Dakota’s license requirements for 20 hours of continuing education every two years.
Rhode Island: This course of study will help you meet Rhode Island’s license requirements for 30 hours of continuing education every two years.
West Virginia: This course of study will meet West Virginia’s license requirements for 10 hours of continuing education each year.
Best Practices for Performing Waived Tests (2 credits)
Calibration Verification (1 credit)
CEexpress 3: Quality Systems (1 credit)
CLIA ’88 Requirements for the Medical Laboratory (2 credits)
OSHA Requirements for the Medical Laboratory (3 credits)
Quality Assessment Basics (1.5 credits)
Introduction to QMS in the Medical Laboratory (1.5 credits)
Free, current version of Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. (Some older browsers could produce error messages or not display the content correctly.)
Free, current version of Adobe Flash Player and Adobe Reader.